Monday, December 10, 2007

Cleared for graduation, looking forward to ministry

Today was Mitch's final day of seminary. He took two finals (his final finals!) and took the necessary steps to be cleared for graduation. At lunch we went to the bookstore to pick up his regalia (a cap, gown, and hood). If you know Jane well, you will not be surprised to know that she was emotional just picking up the regalia. It was overwhelming to think about the culmination of seminary and the prospect of a pastoring a church. Can you imagine the emotions at the actual commencement on Friday?! Mitch's mom, dad & stepmother, and aunt & uncle are arriving this week. Besides celebrating the completion of the Master of Divinity degree, we are looking forward to enjoying time with family. Check the blog after Friday for pictures.

This past Sunday Mitch preached the morning and evening services in the church he had preached once before on November 4. The church is pastorless and has asked several possible candidates to preach a first time as they search for the man God would have as their pastor. As they narrow their search, the church has selected three men to preach a second time. Mitch is the first of three, with the last man preaching on December 30. Mitch visited with the deacons after a fellowship lunch, we were able to take a look at the church's parsonage, and there was a valuable question/answer period after the evening service. The Lord blessed and we felt very good about the day! We are excited to learn His will for us and for this church. Thank you for your prayers.

We'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

The Williams Family said...

Mitch and Jane - it is good to hear things have gone well so far. I know the Lord will be clear in His leading regarding the opportunity in Aquilla. If you do get the call I would personally like to attend your first service as pastor.

I know this time is filled with both joy and apprehension. Joy in finally graduating from an arduous, but edifying curriculm. Apprehnsion in facing the unknown. However, you two have modeled a faithful life and I have been encouraged by your example, as a result, have become more determined in mine. Faith for me definitely an active verb!

I will keep you in prayer. God bless. Eric Williams

The Fiscus Family said...

Eric,

Your words are both a blessing and an encouragement to me. I consider you a trusted and valued friend. I appreciate and love you, brother, and I consider you a great man, as well.

Mitch